In New York, there will be an underground park illuminated by a mirror system
In July, the leadership of the New York Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) approved the project of the world’s first underground Lowline park, which will appear on the site of an abandoned underground terminal in the Manhattan area. It is supposed that exotic plants from all over the world will be collected here, and the internal lighting will be provided by a special mobile mirror system that will “retransmit” sunlight from the surface.
The authors of the unique project are James Ramsey and Dan Barash. The mirror system developed by them will precisely follow the movement of the sun, collecting and concentrating its energy for subsequent transmission. The main elements of the system will be 100 parabolic “plates”. The accumulated solar energy will be 30 times higher than the level of light that pedestrians face on the street every day .
The sun’s rays will be directed between the mirrors located inside the protective tubes, so that the lens does not get dust. The transmission system is somewhat like a zigzag lamp of daylight. Then the light is redirected to the distributors – optical diffusers made of anodized aluminum panels. With their help, the plants in the park will be illuminated.
Thanks to the system of mirrors, the engineers managed to achieve a full light spectrum with an efficiency of about 70%. The remaining 30% is absorbed during transmission. If you compare these figures with LEDs powered by solar panels with an efficiency of 7%, the difference is obvious.
Investments in the project will amount to $ 60 million, including funds for the modernization of the abandoned underground terminal and installation of special lighting equipment.